Monday, October 27, 2014

Halloween Apothecary Jar

Well, this post is sort of an addendum to my "Spooky" Dollar Store Potions/Halloween Table Decor Books post, which I shared a few weeks back.  (And which I kind of love.)  Just wanted to show that you can also do the wet paper towel technique (see that previous post) to create neat looking jars to also add to your Halloween decor.

Spooky Halloween Apothecary Jar
The method for the jar was the same as the base layer for the books.  Namely, cover it with a wet 1-ply napkin or paper
towel, then paint over it with Mod Podge.  After that dries, use black paint and then a metallic colored craft paint.  Tie some twine around it, glue a plastic Halloween toy on top (I painted an orange bat ring that came in my package of dollar store toys), add a spooky label, and you're set.

Let me tell you what I used:


I made my "Extract of Bat Wing" label in Silhouette Studio using a free vintage photo of a bat lady I found online from The Graphics Fairy (GREAT website if you are looking for free vintage images), some flourishes, and just a basic curved rectangle shape.  So, if you don't have a label design that you like in your silhouette library--don't forget you can easily create you own!  I just merged my shapes together using the merge toolbar, and then selected "Cut edge" on the cut function, so that it only cut out the outer edges.  That's how I got my neat label. 


I cut the label out using Silhouette Printable White Sticker Paper, but I think a label printed on either the gold or silver foil paper would have looked really great, and actually worked better, in this instance.  The foils are a little bit more flexible (not quite as thick) and so they would stick to the curved and bumpy outside of the jar better.  As you can see, I accidentally tore off a piece of my label on the top (whoops), and found the thicker sticker paper a little harder to get to adhere as nicely to the covering I put on the jar, especially due to the shape.  This was mostly due to the shape of the jar that I had on hand and used, but the foil papers are actually meant for putting on jars and things, and thus are more flexible with the curving and such.  Plus....gold and silver would look perfect with the theme of these jars. :) 


Anyways--just wanted to share this extra fun little tid-bit.  Hope you have all your Halloween prep in place and are looking forward to a fun time spent with family, friends, and neighbors.  Be safe, enjoy, and have a magical time! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment