Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Life Is Sweet


For so many reasons, the title of this post is true: Life is sweet.

So is my tooth...er... . ;) What I mean to say is that I enjoy some of the sweet things of life. ;)  This week I decided to finish up a candy dish that I started making a few weeks ago during my "try everything you see on Pinterest" week.;)  It is a simple, personalized candy dish (or gum-ball machine look-alike) that costs less than $5 to make, if you have some of the more reusable items on hand already.  It's a cute place to put all that Easter, Valentines, Halloween, Christmas [insert any day of the year] candy that you have.  Or to personalize for friends, wedding reception food table pieces, kids room for hair ties, etc. So, without further ado--here is how to make it.

Supplies:
1 terra-cotta pot and saucer (Total, less than $2 at WalMart)
1 small Dollar Store glass bowl/vase/dish
2 metal washers, different sizes (each about 10-20cents at Home Depot)
A wooden nob ($1 at Home Depot)
Super Glue
Black Spray Paint
Armor Etch (we've got it in 3 different size bottles--if you aren't doing this a ton, the small bottle will be plenty for quite a few projects)
Small piece of vinyl (for stencil)

(Just FYI: I think reading this blog gives you an idea of where I shop.  I am not trying to endorse any of these companies--I guess except to tell you how great Makeitscrappin is, obviously, and that you can get great deals on our website above most competitors. But as for the other stores, I just want to give you an idea of where to look and prices.  These projects are so cheap/fun/doable. :))

Anyways.  Back to sweet life makin'.

First off, use the super glue to adhere your two washers and nob to each other, and then to the bottom of the saucer.  This will now serve as the lid to your candy dish.  Using the different sized washers isn't necessary, it just adds another dimension to your lid, which I think adds an extra little aesthetic boost to it, overall.  You need a glass glue or super glue of some sort--just something that will permanently adhere the items being used.

Next, spray paint your pot (upside down, as you won't be seeing the inside of it but will see the bottom of it when your candy dish is empty) and your new lid.  Follow the instructions on your spray paint bottle for applying multiple coats to get a more even look.



In the meantime, use Silhouette Studio or your Cricut to create the design you want etched into your glass.  If you have more patience than I do, you can try something intricate...but if you are normal :) , you might want to try something more simple, as applying the vinyl stencil becomes more difficult the more intricate your design.  I thought I'd done well this time, but applying the stencil to a curved surface, all in one piece, was a bit time consuming with the design I made.  I realized that I just have an eye for small lettering and intricate flourishes.  Sigh.  Someday I'll learn. ;)

After cutting your design using your Silhouette or Cricut, pull out the letters (flourish, etc.; aka, whatever you'd normally be using FROM the vinyl) and discard it.  You can here use transfer tape to help make the application process easier, but whatever way you choose to do it, use your design outline (what's left of the vinyl) as your stencil.  Position it where you would like it on the glass.  Once the vinyl is adhered, apply the Armor Etch over the top of your stencil, being carful not to let it overlap the outside edge of your stencil.  Leave it on for 20 minutes, then wash off with soap and warm water.  Pull off the vinyl stencil and wash wish soap and water.  Be sure to read the warning labels on your Armor Etch.  I like to wear rubber gloves, just to be extra safe.  (But it has washed easily out of my foam brush each time without leaving any damage, so it really is just a precaution.)
Use a vinyl cut-out as your stencil. Apply Armor Etch, and after 20 min., wash!  Viola. Etched Glass.
After this, fill with candy (eat some of it, too) and top with your custom-made lid!  (I apologize that the "final product" photos make it hard to see.  I need to learn some techniques for taking pictures of glass without all sorts of crazy lighting problems and flash backs.  While the etching is a bit hard to see in some of the photos, it does turn out well if you leave it on long enough, and my candy dish is cute enough that it is currently displayed on my kitchen table downstairs. :))  Also cute when spruced up with a ribbon tied around the center, or glued to the bottom rung of the pot.



And when you're all done...go out and enjoy some of the great things that make life truly sweet.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment