Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Fun with Silhouette Interfacing pt.2: Monogrammed Throw Pillows

Well it took a few weeks, but I finally got my sewing machine back up and working, and thus, I was finally able to make this monogrammed slip cover for a throw pillow.


This is another great use for Silhouette fabric interfacing.  If you missed my first, more detailed post about how to use it, click this link: "Fun with Silhouette Interfacing pt.1: Dish Towels." The great thing about using your silhouette is that it can cut more intricate shapes for such applique.  So let's get to it. 

For the pillow slipcover itself, I found the following tutorial online that was pretty easy to follow:
 http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/08/easy-envelope-pillow-cover-tutorial.html. (I'm just a neophyte with sewing, so trust me when I say that anyone can do this.)  As for the interfacing, if you don't already have some, check out our website to get either Clean Cut (for hand stitching) or Sewable interfacing (which can be sewn through with a sewing machine).  Or, another GREAT idea would have been to use some of the Silhouette fabric ink and stencil vinyl for this project.  Just a thought. (That I now want to try...)

Rather than walk you through all the steps of how to use the interfacing again (see my previously referenced post above for more details), let me just give you a few tips that I have picked up along the way, especially in regards to adding applique to a throw pillow slipcover.

                                     

Tip #1:  The instructions with Silhouette Interfacing tell you to cut the interfacing 1 inch larger, around the borders, than the shape you are planning to cut.  This doesn't mean 1 inch larger than the fabric, meaning you'd have interfacing hanging off the edges.  I mistook that direction the first time, and ended up with interfacing heated onto my ironing board.  :-/ Not what you want.  (Like I said, I'm a beginner at this stuff, and Silhouette fabric interfacing is my first use at interfacing ever.  Forgive me, wise seamstresses out there. I'm a beginna'.) Instead, cut it that much larger than your desired image, and then cut your fabric to be a bit larger than the interfacing.  THEN iron on the interfacing.  :)  It's not rocket science, I know, but it took me a few tries to understand what they meant, as I thought I was trying to follow their directions exactly. :)

Tip #2:  When wanting to apply an applique, such as this monogrammed "M," 



onto a small throw pillow, do not do as I did.  :)  Meaning, do not sew the entire slipcover first and then iron on your finished Silhouette-cut design.

For easier hand-stitching on of appliques, iron your image onto the correct place before finishing the final seams.  Hand stitch it on first, then iron.  Not like in this picture. :)
This makes it harder to hand-stitch on later.  Instead, iron on your applique before sewing the finals seams of the slipcover.  It will take some measuring to be sure that you have it placed right (and be sure to put it on the correct side!), but it will make it that much easier to hand-stitch the design on.  Then hand stitch on your design before finishing sewing the final seams.  You will want to hand stitch on your design if you plan on washing this slip-cover, which, I would guess, is one of the reasons for making a slip-cover vs. just a regular enclosed pillow case.  This is mostly useful if you are making a slipcover for a small pillow, such as this one, as it can be hard to get your hands in there to stitch when the slip-cover/case is not very large. Larger pillows' slip-covers shouldn't have this problem.





Tip #3:  This interfacing works best with thin cotton print fabrics.  My "M" was made out of fabric from an old shirt, actually, (hooray for repurposing!) and thus was very soft and stretchy.  It was also thicker than some of your normal cotton prints.  Thus, it was a little harder to cut. For this type of fabric, turn your fabric blade to a 4 or 5, rather than the pre-set 3 for fabric on your Silhouette.  Your pre-set fabric setting should already have it at maximum thickness, so upping your blade depth is your only next option.  You may want to use the "test cut" function first to see if you have your blade and fabric at an appropriate depth and speed.  I also slowed my speed down to a 3 due to the type of material I was working with.

However, after all is said and done, this is still a SUPER easy way to make your own adorable throw pillow.  Make a monogrammed one, such as this.  Or--

Hot Idea: try making different slip-covers for your couch throw pillows for each holiday season!  A large pumpkin for Fall, a pinecone for Winter, birds for Spring, etc.  Then just switch out the slip-cover for whatever season or holiday you have coming up!  Easy way to change things up in your living room for cheap-cheap. :)  Have fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment